PTA Needs You!
Hillsborough county requires all volunteers to submit and have an approved volunteer application. This review/approval process is not immediate; therefore, we ask that if you to plan volunteer, attend any ceremonies, or classroom activities please apply well in advance. Below are our links to complete the Volunteer Application.
There are specific roles that need assistance. Each of the chair positions below can be run alone or with a team. The chair would be considered the lead contact for the role. If you would like to assist with any of these items, please select the item you would like to assist with by using the SignUp Genius link (https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0C44A8AF22A0F94-202220231) or by contacting the PTA via email email@example.com.
- Book Fair– If you would like to assist with the Annual Book Fair (October 31 to November 4) by helping to set up for the event, assisting students shop, running the register, and taking down from the event, please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0C44A8AF22A0F94-book3.
- Marquee– Update the marquee in front of the school with birthdays (east side) and special events (west side). This is not an everyday job. Letters and key to the marquee can be kept with the chair person for convenience.
- Conference Night– Secure a food donation or order food and drinks under $250. Organize food pick-up, multipurpose room set up, ensure all supplies (plates, napkins, silverware, cooler with drinks, etc.) are ready for the teachers before 3 pm. This event only happens one time a year.
- Barnes & Noble Night– Reach out to Barnes & Noble (Carrollwood location) to set up the nights that have been selected on the calendar (October 13 and December 22). Organize with special readers like the Principal, AP, Media Specialist and school favorites to ensure the event has a good turn out. Chair for this position must attend the event because the school receives funding for this event. Chair for this position is also responsible for creating flyers, making copies, and placing copies in the teacher boxes the week of the events. This role can be accomplished by an individual or as a team.
- Skate Night– There of these events will occur throughout the year. The first event is scheduled for October 27. This role would schedule the next event in January/February and the last one in May (which is the event that 5th graders attend for free). Chair of this position is responsible for organizing and receiving flyers for the event, place flyers in the teacher boxes the week of the skate night and then providing skating stickers in teacher boxes the day before the event (so teachers can provide a sticker to each study prior to school dismissal the day of the event). Chair must be in attendance of the event. A tally sheet is used during the event to see the highest classroom turnout because the next morning that class is rewarded with a dozen donuts. The chair would be responsible for designating a donut pick-up person as well.
- Yearbook– The chair for this role is responsible with organizing submitted images by using PhotoCircle and the yearbook software to create the yearbook. The chair will work closely with the yearbook company to ensure deadlines are met and will double-check that class lists are correct. The chair will start and finish the yearbook cover competition (submissions are due 9/30/2022). This will ensure the vote is done fairly and accurately. Sales material of yearbook must be created, copied and sent home a few times throughout the year. The yearbook must be complete before the end of March. (Note: This year, this position is filled and the current chair would like to train the individual that will take over this role next year.)
- Manatee Meals– Chair for this position would work closely with the school social worker and the church to secure food for weekly food packing for our neediest students. It involves sending home flyers asking for donations, taking food to the food bank located at Mission Hill Church, rotating stock to ensure no food has spoiled, packing weekend food bags on Thursdays at 10 am with church volunteers to fill a cart that the social worker passes out on Fridays.
- Swag Closet– The chair will wash donated clothing items, sorts, folds, and loads the closet located at Mission Hills Church (located next to the school). The laundry soap is donated or can be purchased using the PTA budget. The chair would be responsible for checking the donation area at the front of the school in the Main Office in a timely manner, sending home a reminder at the end of the school year to source more donations, and offer a designated time they could open the closet for families. Only a few events are pre-scheduled for the closet to be open.
- Giving Tree– Chair will set up the Holiday Tree in the Main Office the week of the Great American Teach In (November 17). This chair will work with the social worker to receive 3 wishes from our neediest families. Chair must precut manatees to write each individual wish on. Two sets will be made to ensure the wishes are fulfilled. This role requires a person who is organized, has time to continually check the donated gifts, refill tree wishes, and fill the holiday bags to be sent home the week before school lets our for winter break. Chair is responsible for making a half page flyer to be sent to encourage LME families to support fellow students. This position is active for about one month and would be best for a person who is willing to form a team for support.
- Homeroom Parent Coordinator– This position can mostly be done from home. The chair is responsible for sending out important information to homeroom parents to ensure they know what is happening around LME. This would include emailing templates for holiday parties, helping the teacher organize basket donations for Mana*Fest, collecting basket donations to assemble for Mana*Fest auction, facilitating volunteers for events like Field Day, and other general volunteer scenarios. Chair will work closely with teachers or teacher liaison to help fill the gap to inform families who sign up to help classes.
- Bingo Night– This chair will plan a bingo night. Chair will choose colors, food offerings, drink selection, prizes, etc. The chair is responsible for assembling a team to help set up for the event. Volunteers will help manage the event (checking cards, refill food and drink stations, monitoring the prize table, selling bingo cards, etc.) and volunteers for clean-up. The chair is responsible for creating a flyer and a presale sheet to allow families to sign up early. This allows for a more accurate assumption of who will be coming. This is a one-time chair role and requires planning (could take about a month of your time to organize this event). Chair must attend Bingo Night.
- Game Night– This chair will plan a game night. Chair will choose colors, food offerings, drink selection, prizes, etc. The chair is responsible for assembling a team to help set up for the event. Volunteers will help manage the event (refill food and drink stations, monitoring the prize table, etc.) and volunteers for clean-up. The chair is responsible for creating a flyer and a presale sheet to allow families to sign up early. This allows for a more accurate assumption of who will be coming. This is a one-time chair role and requires planning (could take about a month of your time to organize this event). Chair must attend Game Night.
- Mother/Son and Father/Daughter Dances– This chair will the events. Chair will choose colors, food offerings, drink selection, etc. The chair is responsible for assembling a team to help set up for the event. Volunteers will help manage the event (refill food and drink stations, etc.) and volunteers for clean-up. The chair is responsible for creating a flyer and a presale sheet to allow families to sign up early. This allows for a more accurate assumption of who will be coming. This is a one-time chair role and requires planning (could take about a month of your time to organize this event). Additional duties include organizing a DJ, decorating the cafeteria, and securing a volunteer photographer.
- Sponsorship- This role will reach out to companies to see if they would like to sponsor the school for the academic year. There is a sponsorship flyer that will help guide the conversation and a script can be used for this as well. The chair is responsible for tracking who is contacted, following up, and creating a document to show contact information and responses. Chair would also reach out to PennySavers to have banners made if necessary and hang banners in carline once complete.